Similar to the generative design method, it is a method for calculating the most suitable geometric shape of a body or assembly under known boundary conditions. In contrast to generative design, the difference is that the volume is only taken from an existing and predefined volume. while in generative design it is gradually created and iterated in space.
The output of topological optimization is a 3D model , which has an ideal geometry with respect to the original (non-optimized) design, while meeting all specified boundary conditions of the calculation with a specified safety factor.
You can find more information about the process of calculating topological optimization on our blog in the article What is topological optimization?
What technologies can you use topology optimization for?
Topological optimization can only be used in the output base for additive technologies , as the calculation does not take into account the production technology.
However, the model can be manually modified to be manufacturable with any manufacturing technology.
In contrast, the method of generative design also takes into account various production technologies in the basic calculation.
Which parts or assemblies are suitable for topological optimization?
- Parts or assemblies where the lowest possible weight is required in terms of function or service life
- Parts or assemblies produced in high production quantities, where optimization will bring significant material savings in the long run,
- Assemblies that contain a large number of components that can be reduced to smaller assemblies or 1 component.
- Parts that are supposed to be visually distinct and futuristic
- Parts or assemblies that need to be developed efficiently and in a short time.
What can you get by using topology optimization?
- Significant weight reduction of existing design (average savings from practice is 30-70%)
- Long-term cost savings associated with material savings
- Increase the efficiency of devices that contain topologically optimized parts
- Advanced bionic and organic design.
What is the investment in topology optimization?
The price and delivery time of optimized models or assemblies is individual and depends on the complexity of the assignment.
We can complete simpler projects in an average of 5-25 design hours.
Complex projects can be completed on average between 25 and 150 design hours.
Delivery time depends on our current occupancy. We will prepare the price individually based on the complexity. If you are interested, we can prepare a individual offer .